NKPdesigns

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Celadon Ladybugs (or ladybirds)

I'll be putting these in my Etsy store today: a set of five Celadon glazed ladybugs (or ladybirds as some prefer).

I got to wondering about why this color of green is called 'celadon' so off I went to Wikipedia. Thought I'd share it.

"Celadon colored pottery is a specific style of pottery produced in East Asia. It is normally associated with a pale sea-green pigment though the style originally was made with much darker pigments. The pale green pigment came from the Korean artisans who used specific clays and potting techniques to create the style now associated with the name. Chemically, celadon is formed by combining chromium oxide, cadmium yellow, and titanium-zinc white. It was most commonly used in Korean art and spread to the other Asian cultures. "

No comments:

Post a Comment