NKPdesigns

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Alphabet Ceramic Beads

A few months back I acquired some letterpress ... perfect for making alphabet beads. The first step is deciding which clay body to use. I'll start out with a nice white. This particular porcelain clay body is quite translucent. If I use a transparent glaze, then it should break in interesting patterns over each textured letter.













I think I want a bead that fits nicely between the thumb and forefinger, so I'm going to use this home made bead 'measurer' which will give me a bead that is between 13 and 15 mm.












In trying to decide which letters to start off with, Wheel of Fortune pops in my head: RSTLNE ... so I'll make about 5 of each of those, plus five of each the vowels, and three of the rest of the consonants. Happy Clay Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment