NKPdesigns

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Glazing Beads

I've been glazing in the spare time I've had.  These beads to your left have been dipped in a watery black underglaze, left to dry, then wiped off with a sponge.

I love this effect, though it is very time consuming. 
Here are some rounds in which I combined two glazes of green. One is a sage green and the other is an apple green.  I don't know how they will turn out. You are in as much suspense as I am.

I love how the beads look on the skewers, kinda like a bouquet of flowers.

Here are some beads that I added a sprig of clay on top of a texture, then textured the sprig.

The blue-green glaze had some blue crystals in it and they melted nicely in the firing.

It's been a fun year experimenting with beads: glazes, textures, iron oxide decals, etc ....











I didn't expect to be diagnosed with cancer earlier this year but it is nice to be past cancer treatments and getting my strength back.  In case you are wondering, the cancer is in remission and my doctor's don't expect it to reoccur. I'm having regular tests and biopsies the next few years to make certain of all this, though.   

Thank you to everyone who wished me well and prayed for me.  That touched my heart greatly.  It's been a wonderful year and this next year my daughter and her husband are making me a grandma. I'm so looking forward to meeting little Ruby Makayla who will be born near the end of April, perhaps May.

But most of all I'm thankful to God who got me through some very tough months, and my mother who sacrificed her time and energy and took care of me. My husband was incredible too, as he always is and has been.  Thank you to my friends who stuck with me and by me ... May God bless you everyone!  See you next year!

5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post today. I'm going to keep my eye on those red and white clay ones up in the right hand corner of your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear that your cancer is in remission and that you are getting stronger.

    Have you ever thought of dry tumbling to get the excess underglaze off? might take awhile but you don't have to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how unique these are -- will be featuring you early next year on my blog for Etsy Finds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also on the cancer -- I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. I had a scare recently, and my father just had melanoma and they say it's all gone, but I feel for you and have you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!

    Jean, I glazed those a green. I was a bit disappointed to see them be a little less rustic. They are still pretty, just a lot different than I originally envisioned. I think I'd like to do those again but glaze with a clear instead of a colored glaze.

    Marsha: I hadn't thought of that. Have you done that before with success?

    Lori, thank you! I will check out your blog. Thank you for your thoughts. I'm glad your father is better.

    ReplyDelete