NKPdesigns

Monday, August 13, 2012

A Very Merry Shark Festival

...and so this blog title may be a bit mystifying .... last weekend my husband and I traveled to Houston and ended up in our kayaks in the Galveston ocean.  The waves were much bigger than last time we went and I wasn't in the most adventuresome mood, either.

The waves were breaking a farther distance than they normally do, or at seemed that way to me.  I did good, keeping the nose facing forward to get past most of the breakers.  I remember I decided to push the paddle  down to see how deep the water was but it didn't touch the bottom.  That was when a breaker seemed to come out of nowhere and I capsized.  I saw the bottom of the yellow kayak above me.  I was wearing a life jacket, even though I am a good swimmer, because I'm kinda cautious about doing dangerous stuff ... stuff like paddling out in the middle of the ocean where the sharks hunt.

I know there really aren't any sharks out there in the gulf of Mexico. They are currently all in the Atlantic northeast, up near Massachusetts, but that didn't stop the fear that ran through me when I was trying to turn the kayak over so I could climb back in.  I kept imagining that a chunk was going to be taken out of my leg.

So where was my husband? He was paddling near me grabbing my water bottle and my paddle.  He watched me finally climb into the kayak, face down, only to watch me go over again as a wave hit me from the side.

By the time I was back in the kayak I paddled with my hands to turn it toward shore. The next wave that hit did not topple me and hubby handed me the paddle and I went to shore. And I got in the truck.  And I wasn't going back into that ocean again.

From now on we are sticking to slow moving streams and lakes, where the only thing we have to worry about is the occasional alligator.

Now .... back to the pottery and the beads.  :)  Thanks for stopping by!  -- Natalie

2 comments:

  1. LOL - there comes a time when a boring life, same old same old, nothing new ever happens, or even a good old fashioned rut, is a good thing. Glad you made it back home alive.....we're not done with you yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Natalie! I am glad you are ok. I hate that feeling (I get uber paranoid in ocean waters - hate the thought of sharks or other things that can nip and bite you in the ocean). Ugh. Man. I am SO glad you are ok. And when waves keep knocking you over - it's like you want to shout "Give me a freaking break here! Just pause for a stinking moment and let me get back in control!!!" (can you tell I hate being in the ocean, out of control, with things swimming around me - good think I decided against pursuing a degree in Marine Biology - lol).

    ReplyDelete