NKPdesigns

Monday, March 04, 2013

Design Progression

It is relaxing and fun for me to sit with a bit of clay and come up with new designs. Some people plan out new designs with pen and paper and I wish I could do more of that. It is a great way to plan out the thought process.  

Me?  I gather a few things around me and plunge right in and see where it goes. My problem is that I have a tiny attention span and it almost physically hurts to make the same thing over and over.  

I have a button with this waffle texture and so I made these beads. And yes, I only made five of them. I had thought I would make 50 or so, but after 5 I was done. Finished. 


I grabbed a piece of clay and made a nugget shape and put a couple of round sprigs of clay and pressed it with that waffle texture and came up with a couple of nuggets. That was fun, but I only made a couple of these before getting bored again.  Part of me figures that if I'm bored then YOU'RE going to be bored, too.



 Instead of making a nugget shape, I made an oval shape and instead of making round bits of clay I made little ropes of clay and wrapped them around the oval and impressed the sprigs with my waffle texture.

These to me were not boring. I ended up making quite a few of them.  Notice the underside where the sprig does not go all the way around?  I like this bare area.   Maybe the glaze will do wonderful things.


 I glazed these with a light coating of avacodo underglaze and covered with a clear gloss to make them shiny and pretty.  

Most interesting to me of all is that after it is glazed, the waffle texture ends up looking like teeny daisy flowers.


2 comments:

  1. I love your posts where I get to learn about your process! Like you, I get easily bored. Even when I try, I can't seem to make two of a kind of anything! Earrings take real patience for me--ha! Glad to see there are others like me who prefer to keep things changing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this again, many weeks later, and just want to add (probably way too late) that I think that first set of flat beads with the criss-cross pattern looks really terrific in white! They'd probably be pretty in ANY color, but seems like people don't make many white beads. These look cool just the color they are! I'd be interested! :-)

    ReplyDelete