NKPdesigns

Monday, February 18, 2008

Handbuilt Bowl


A couple of months ago I started this project. I started with a bowl form and then squashed round balls of clay with my hand and mashed them together to make this bowl. I smoothed the inside, but left the outside as it was. I babied it, putting it under plastic to slowly dry out. It finally dried enough to where I felt comfortable putting it into the kiln for a bisque fire.


After it came out of the kiln I think I stared at it everyday for a month trying to figure out how I wanted to glaze it. I wanted something dramatic. But I didn't want to ruin it. I have ruined waaaay too many things with the experiments. So I set to glazing some beads. If I liked how they came out, I would like how this came out, too.


Finally I decided on this combination of colors and it took about a week of a couple of hours a day. I am a slow glazer, and I was picky about the colors not running into one another. I also stopped after the colors were laid out on it and got a piece of paper and drew the bowl from this perspective on it. Then I took colored pencils to work out the rest of the pattern. Finally I was satisfied with the pattern and put on the finishing touches. The bottom is smooth unglazed clay with my signature drawn into it.

This bowl is quite big. I will, however, be listing it in my Etsy shop, and perhaps be taking it to to a pottery show on Gallery Night with the rest of the Texas Pottery and Sculptural Guild in March. More about that show later.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely Natalie! A lot of work for sure! Mak

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!

    The design is really neet, elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stunning Nat!!!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie
    Your bowl is AWESOME !!! And definately worth being shown in galleries!
    Love what you have done with it and like the glaze-colors. From the pix it looks like oriental fans!
    Enjoyed seeing it.
    Hugs
    Chae

    ReplyDelete