NKPdesigns

Thursday, September 01, 2005

No Peeking!

I went to the Texas Pottery & Sculpture Guild meeting last night. Rachel Bates from Passon Pottery gave an awesome demo on the Majolica technique she has employed in the past and continues to develop currently.

One of Rachel's bowl (Click here to view one of her bowls) was this July's doorprize for the TP&SG's show at the Botanical Garden in Fort Worth.

I am planning on using some of these techniques I learned on some beads. Like Rachel, I enjoy watercolor painting and the exciting thing about this particular technique is that it gives the translucence of watercolor -- something I've tried to do in the past with plain underglazing.


Fresh out of the kiln! These bowls were painstakingly thrown over a period of three days. What I mean by that is that I measured out the clay and threw them exactly alike as I possibly could and it took three days to get these three bowls. I am now well aquainted with the use of a caliper.








Here are the same bowls stacked one on top of another.
Inside two are a rustic turquiose and the third one I used a barn-red glaze. These would make excellent French Onion soup bowls, or could be used for Creme Brule, or (my favorite) ice cream.










These are similar to what I brought to the 2005 July Botanical Garden show with the Texas Pottery & Sculpture Guild. I am continuing to experiement with different shapes and sizes. I am still enthralled with a turquoise swirl over an oatmeal glaze. As always, these are all lead-free glazes and also dishwasher, microwave, and oven safe dinnerware.






I have the kiln going again today. This will be the last load I can kiln before the show on Saturday. In fact, I will be pulling out this batch late Friday night. I am telling myself over and over again: NO PEEKING!

No comments:

Post a Comment