NKPdesigns

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Glaze Chemicals

One of the reasons I decided to go back to college to ceramics class was to learn how to mix and formulate glazes. Last semester I mixed some for the first time and I have to say, it's pretty easy to do.

But I am a procrastinator at times so it has taken from then until now to order some very basic glaze chemicals. I want to make a stable cone 6 clear gloss that I can add colorants to in varying amounts to get some interesting colors. And what I can do with each clay body I use is make a glaze specifically formulated for that clay body.

Tomorrow I will pick up those chemicals from Texas Pottery and then the experiments will begin.

By the way, if you live in the Fort Worth area, Alan is the owner and he produces some fantastic stoneware clay bodies! Ironstone and Taos Red are my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment