NKPdesigns

Friday, May 18, 2007

Kiln Opening

These two lovelies came out of the kiln yesterday. My family agreed they were both keepers and so I'm keeping them. I love this glaze combination and how it interacts on this particular clay body. About an hour after the kiln shut off, I plugged the holes in the kiln and allowed the pots to soak. It made for some interesting crystallization on the lid and a couple of places on the body.

I'd read about this technique before and ideally I would want to unplug the holes after an hour or so and let it cool down faster ... but I didn't feel like getting up at 3 am so I left the plugs in and went to sleep. Experimenting is fun!










The history of this particular pot can be found here: http://nkpdesigns.blogspot.com/2007/03/whole-batch.html . It's just the right size for a couple of medium sized onions and a few bulbs of garlic. This is the first time I've combined a couple of pieces I've thrown on the wheel. I'm finally finding time to experiment a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment