NKPdesigns

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Pottery and Treasuries


The last few days I've been obsessing over Etsy treasuries. Hosting them is like a big online party where everyone pops in and raves how fabulous every one's art is, then they pop out as quickly as they appeared.

What is an Etsy treasury? If an artist has an online store at http://etsy.com/ they can host a treasury by first snagging one (there are directions on Etsy in the forums), then once a treasury is snagged, there are 12 empty photo boxes to fill with pretty art. Usually a host does not use their own art, but other artists. Now, you may ask, how does that do the host any good? Well, because if I host some one's art and they sell that item to someone who has viewed that treasury, then they might just put something of mine in their next treasury as a thank you. So it's a different kind of way of marketing and getting seen by customers who otherwise might not see my art. Right now I'm hosting a Buy and Replace treasury that lasts until Thursday at 4:30 am. Go here to view it: http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=3830 ... 8 items have sold so far. When someone buys an item from a treasury of this type, they can tell me the item from their store (or their artist's favorite store) to replace it with. It's like a fast moving game. Very fun!



However, (putting aside the treasuries for a moment), I've been fairly productive this week. The two photos are some mugs I threw on the pottery wheel. One thing that caught my eye at the July Texas Pottery and Sculpture Guild show was the beautiful butterflies which sat on several pots and casserole dishes. I thought, "Hey I have butterfly cookie cutters!" So the first mug sports a butterfly. I made it so it wouldn't hinder a left handed person from sipping their coffee. I'm a lefty and so my idea is LEFTIES FIRST. My next will be for a right-handed person.

No comments:

Post a Comment