NKPdesigns

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Handbuilt Mug


This was a fun experiment I started a while back. I just now got around to taking its photo, too. I rolled out a slab and pressed a pattern into it. To get a closer look at the pattern, click on the photo, then when you're done, click your 'back' button to return here.

Next I took an empty paper towel roll and cut a circle around the bottom for the bottom of the mug. Then keeping the empty paper towel roll in place, I wrapped a strip of the slab around it and worked the edges in place with my fingers, and as well as shaped the top to flair out a bit. After it had hardened a bit, I cut a strip for the handle and applied that as well.

After bisque firing it, I applied a stain to the outside and covered it with a clear gloss glaze and refired. Voila! A handbuilt mug!

No comments:

Post a Comment