NKPdesigns

Monday, November 14, 2011

Fun Experiment with Sand and Beads

A good friend of mine brought back some sand from two of her trips. She used some of the sand in a bowl which she fired to cone 10 and it came out really neat. She gave me some of it and also some other sparkly sand and told me to have fun. So I did. I mixed each type of sand in some clear cone 06 glaze and coated each bead.

I didn't want to get confused as to which bead I put what at, so last night I took this photo on the left. The bigger bead was coated with the sparkly sand and the smaller bead was coated with the other sand.  



I probably should have used the same clay with each bead, but I didn't.  The bigger bead was made from b-mix cone 6 clay and the smaller bead was made with frost cone 6 clay.


I fired these at cone 1 though. Why? Because I had other beads firing at that temperature and stuck these in at the last minute.

These came out rather rough, but I like the texture of the sand. I think I would like to add another coat of clear gloss to these and refire.

2 comments:

  1. I love the texture that the sand creates. Ingrid Mueller makes beads that she calls "stoney" beads on which she actually uses small pebbles. They have become a staple in my bead stash but I particularly like the creamy whites like yours and browns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! When I refire these I'll be posting more photos. I am going to have to check out Ingrid's work. I

    ReplyDelete