NKPdesigns

Monday, April 07, 2008

Successes and Failures Out of the Kiln

All of the ones that came out great need new photos, and the ones that didn't are going to have to go back into the kiln for another burn.




This is one of my favorites out of this batch. It is simple, but the shape is lovely and the red daisies are cheerful. Who doesn't need a bit of cheer with their coffee some mornings?








This mug about drove me nuts! I had this idea of buttons and I can't number how many times I had to repair the buttons on this mug. Every time I moved it, a button fell off. It got to be almost comical. The colors on this turned out great but I'm not happy with the shine factor. I like more of a glossy coating, especially on the handle. So back into the kiln it will go!





This color is one I haven't used before. It was supposed to be more green than yellow. I suppose it came out more like a yellow Jade.


I had this idea to stick on leafy type things. I can only hope they don't remind people of slugs.








The cat proof sugar bowl I was so excited about in an earlier post did not turn out well. The fit was too fabulous! It is now human proof! I put the lid on, and it slipped on ... and now it won't slip off. I am going to try again!









This was a lot of fun to do. The glazing took hours though. I used a red that was watered down a bit so it would flow easier and be less gloppy, but therefore it needed many more coats. I thought I would NEVER finish. I was reading a book about yarn and felting the day before I made this cup. I think I was definitely influenced.

1 comment:

  1. Natalie
    Your cups are fun! Enjoyed the post.
    Figure you're pretty brave if you're going to refire the button-cup. Looks pretty ok just as it is!
    Got a chuckle out of your "slug" comment. Would never have thought of that - looks like leaves to me!
    Hugs
    Chae

    ReplyDelete